Protecting the future of trails for all trail users
BSTRA is a horseback riding organization whose #1 priority is keeping access to trails open for equestrian use. We also advocate for multi-use trails that are horse friendly such as hiking, mountain biking, snowmobiling, cross country skiing, and snowshoeing.
We strive for acquisition, maintenance, and preservation of trails that benefit all the aforementioned trail users.
We offer an extensive and varied calendar of horse events that promote togetherness and fun for family and friends. Meeting people with the same interests and finding new places to ride is a wonderful benefit.
BSTRA has an extensive track record of dependability, credibility, and accomplishments. Since 1989, BSTRA has put more than $460,000 into Massachusetts trail projects–creating and maintaining trails open to equestrians and other trail users. Our projects have made improvements in forests and parks in 33 towns in the Commonwealth, including Bellingham, Brimfield, Carlisle, Carver, Douglas, Franklin, Ipswich, Mendon, Middleboro, Peru, Shirley, Upton, Uxbridge, Warwick and Wilbraham, as well as, Eastford (CT) and Pascoag, Burrillville, and Exeter (RI).
If you are concerned about losing trails and enjoy being out on the trails as much as we do, please join us to help protect, maintain and increase trail systems. Thank you for your support and goodwill.
Our mission includes:
- Creating new & connecting trails for outdoor recreation and fitness
- Keeping access open for equestrian use.
- Preserving and maintaining trials.
- Promoting responsible use of trails; educating our members on trail etiquette and safety for all trail users.
- Facilitating communication, cooperation and goodwill between trail users and landowners.
- Striving to represent horseback riding interests to various land owning agencies.
- Recruiting enthusiastic volunteers to help us maintain our trail systems.
- Assisting in the preparation of plans, surveys and studies to make recommendations.
- Encouraging citizen participation in trail stewardship.
- Offering a variety of fun events for family and friends, such as pleasure rides, competitive rides, hunter paces and campouts. Year-end awards program and volunteer rewards.
Offering trail riders the opportunity to enjoy their sport in a fun, safe environment:
Whether you enjoy pleasure rides or competitive rides, Bay State Trail Riders Association offers a number of events each year which may appeal to you. Our rides offer marked trails, so riders can go at their own pace and they are held in a variety of state parks and other locations. We provide lunch to all pre-registered participants following the ride offering a social setting so participants can meet other people who share the same interests. Most of our rides are also open to non-members, so come out and join us for fun on the trail.